- To accumulate the intellectual printed property of the nation published in the territory in every year.
- To develop the national collection.
- To compile, publish and distribute the National Bibliography (Known as the cultural Ambassador) of Bangladesh every year.
- To preserve and conserve the national collection in both traditional and technological way.
- To provide integrated library services from one stop
- To ascertain equitable access to the national collection.
The vision of establishment the National Library of Bangladesh is to enhance the total competitive power of the nation as a whole by way of making NLB the “Centre for Excellence” in view of increasing education, research, reference service facilities at one stop and hereby help creating a egalitarian, gracious and knowledge Society in Bangladesh.